Wash like a pro – how to load a dishwasher for best results
The right way to load a dishwasher is a frequent talking point in shared living arrangements. Everyone has their own preferences and pet peeves. However, there really is a right way to load a dishwasher and some basic rules simply aren't up for discussion. Read on for our dishwasher loading tips, some cool dishwasher loading hacks and a fun Somat video on the topic.
Why loading the dishwasher matters
The basics of how to load the dishwasher for optimal cleaning results are as follows:
- Large dishes at the bottom
- Glasses on top
- Load the cutlery basket right (dirty ends up)
- Check the spray arm can move
Now let's take a closer look at how to load a dishwasher ...
Dishwasher loading instructions
Dishwasher loading tips
Those are the basics, but we have some more dishwasher loading tips that may not be in your manufacturer's instructions:
- Start loading from the back of each shelf. This makes it easier to see how full your dishwasher is.
- Start unloading the dishwasher at the bottom, to prevent water dripping down.
- Put plastic on the top shelf, where the heat is less intense than at the bottom of the dishwasher.
- Prevent cutlery from spooning, i.e. snuggling up together in the baskets.
- Make sure everyone in your household is aware of sharp knives if you load them blade-up.
- Give the top rack a gentle shake to allow items to settle into place and avoid glass breakage.
Dishwasher loading hacks
There are a few unwieldy items that aren't always mentioned in dishwasher manuals. We have collected a few smart dishwasher loading hacks that can come in handy:
- Place large, flat cutting boards and platters around the edge of the dishwasher, which usually remains empty.
- Alternate glass with plastic items on the top shelf to prevent glass-on-glass damage.
- Find out if your top dishwasher shelf is height-adjustable, to accommodate larger items when needed.